- Hassan ‘Sam’ Ibrahim has been charged with having a mobile phone in jail
- It was found by Long Bay prison officers during a routine search
- Ibrahim, 50, is currently awaiting trial on gun trafficking charges
Nortorious underworld figure Hassan ‘Sam’ Ibrahim has been caught with a mobile phone hidden in his cell at Sydney’s Long Bay jail. Ibrahim, 50, was charged on Thursday after prison officers found a SIM card and phone in a metal tin during a routine search earlier this month, the Daily Telegraph1 reported. The former bikie boss is currently behind bars awaiting trial on gun trafficking charges, and will appear in Waverly court on June 16.
Scroll down for video
Notorious underworld figure Sam Ibrahim has been caught with a mobile phone in jail
In September last year Ibrahim faced deportation after failing a character test, set out under strict new citizenship law introduced by Federal Government in 2014. Immigration Minister Peter Dutton signed off on deportation papers giving Ibrahim 28 days to appeal the decision, Seven News reported. The Australian Crimes Commission had requested Mr Dutton to consider revoking Ibrahim’s residency visa.
Prison guards found the mobile phone and SIM card inside a metal tin in his cell at Long Bay jail (pictured) earlier this month
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.
- SHARE PICTURE
- PC Stephen Smith was arrested on suspicion of harassing estranged wife
- Accused of remotely wiping phone and iPad to stop police seeing evidence
- Allegedly bought phone to send fake texts in attempt to absolve himself
- Smith, who is on trial, denies two charges of perverting course of justice
PC Stephen Smith, 32, (pictured) of Tredegar, Blaenau Gwent in South Wales, was arrested after his estranged wife PC Catherine Louise Taylor, 31, complained she was being harassed
A married PC who discovered his police officer wife was having an affair with a colleague allegedly destroyed mobile phone evidence when he was arrested on suspicion of harassing her. PC Stephen Smith, 32, of Tredegar, Blaenau Gwent in South Wales, was arrested after his estranged wife PC Catherine Louise Taylor, 31, complained she was being harassed. But a court has heard Smith, an officer for South Wales Police, is now accused of deliberately wiping evidence from his iPhone and iPad shortly after it was seized by police investigating the claims.
Smith then allegedly bought himself a pay-as-you go mobile phone and sent text messages to his new iPhone while pretending to be someone else in an attempt to absolve himself. In the texts he allegedly claimed the unknown person was the one responsible for wiping the devices held by police. The court was told the two police officers split in January 2014 after five years of marriage.
Prosecutor Owen Williams said: ‘PC Taylor was involved in a relationship with her new partner Andrew Gibbons. All three are police officers.’
Three months after the bitter split Smith was accused of harassing his estranged wife. He was arrested and his Apple iPhone and iPad were confiscated before he was released on police bail in the early hours of April 1. But the court heard that shortly after his release both devices were remotely wiped clean, destroying any evidence which may have been on them.
Mr Williams said that it is claimed at 1.18am and then again 27 seconds later Smith used his Apple ID and credentials to wipe them clean and restored both devices to factory settings.
‘The remote wipes were initiated using Wifi internet connection at the defendant’s address where he was living with his parents,’ said Mr Williams. ‘Having been released from police custody the defendant returned to his home address.
The court was told the two police officers split in January 2014 after five years of marriage. Prosecutor Owen Williams said: ‘PC Taylor was involved in a relationship with her new partner Andrew Gibbons’ (both pictured)
‘Once there he used another device to connect to the internet and accessed a remote wipe facility.
‘Using Apple credentials he initiated the wipes knowing they had been seized in the allegation of harassment against him.
‘He did so in a deliberate manner to prevent anybody else from accessing that data.’
Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court heard Smith refused to give police officers the correct passwords and then blamed police incompetence for them being wiped
Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court heard Smith had refused to give police officers the correct passwords and then blamed police incompetence for them being wiped. Smith claimed he and his father had gone to a Tesco store before returning home, but the court heard the car was spotted on CCTV two miles from the family home 10 minutes before the devices were wiped. Smith has been charged with perverting the course of justice by wiping the devices clean, but he denies the allegations.
The court also heard he allegedly bought a pay-as-you-go mobile phone to ‘try to absolve himself of any blame’ and used it to send text messages to his replacement iPhone pretending to be someone else. Smith claimed he received two text messages from that phone to his iPhone and claimed the unknown person was responsible for wiping the devices held by police. The court heard that in the messages the mystery person apologised to Smith for wiping the iPad, said they were ‘too afraid’ to tell the police they were responsible and added that he was a ‘wonderful dad’ who ‘does not deserve’ to go to prison.
But the prosecution say the texts were bogus and were sent by Smith to himself to cover his tracks. Mr Williams said: ‘He purchased the pay as you go phone for the sole purpose of producing the text messages and sending them to his new iPhone.
‘It was not used for any other purpose.’
Smith denies two charges of perverting the course of justice. The trial continues.
PC Catherine Taylor 31, complained about being plagued by Smith over the marriage split. She is pictured with her new boyfriend, police officer Andrew Gibbons
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.
- SHARE PICTURE
Yesterday was AT&T. Today Rogers. Carriers are clearing the inventory of unsold PRIV, and all signs show the PRIV is epic fail in terms of sales numbers. John Chen ignored the loyal BB10 fans and went to entice Android users. He got screwed in return.
This CEO knows nothing about handsets business. He simply has driven BlackBerry to the brink of perdition!
Roger’s discount is not a new price drop. It happened a month ago. However, I agree that Priv is not selling well and John Chen doesn’t know how to revive the hardware that keeps collapsing day by day.
To blame Mr. Chen for not reviving the handset sales for BlackBerry is crazy. Just this move to Android- while still working to keep the legendary BB security in place- was an out of the box decision the last group of CEO’s never would have tried. This company was cratering, losing money and burning through their cash reserves like a gas covered candle wick. He has gotten BB almost profitable again using software and utilizing all the options out there for their product. I agree the handset business may be almost a hobby for them at this point. But this was a unavoidable result of short sighted leadership for years. He is playing the long game.
At least he is keeping BB in the news and trending up. The old BB is gone, but the company has a chance of surviving.
9. meanestgenius (Posts: 8641; Member since: 28 May 2014)4
Totally agree with everything you just said. But the those that hate BlackBerry and want to see it fall will never understand or except this fact.
Hmm!! Ohk ! Still pricier for a old phone !!
5. meanestgenius (Posts: 8641; Member since: 28 May 2014)6
Price drops abound to stimulate sales of a device released 5 months ago. Price drops like this are nothing new for last years devices, from ANY device manufacturer, as some would have you believe. Definitely was bound to happen, and these price drops mean great value for a very capable device from BlackBerry.
7. robertdenaro116 (Posts: 34; Member since: 07 Mar 2016)7
AT&T’s website says its exclusive through AT&T in the US?
10. meanestgenius (Posts: 8641; Member since: 28 May 2014)8
It’s not. The PRIV can be purchased from T-Mobile as well as Verizon in the U.S. The exclusivity deal is over.
If a new Apple patent is any indication, the touch surface on future devices could be in for a major change. As reported by Patently Apple1, the U.S. Patent and Trademark office recently awarded Cupertino a patent “that allows a touchpad or touch surface to simulate textures and temperatures such as cool metal or hot cement” underneath your fingertip. Apple’s system “includes a touch surface, an actuator and/or an temperature control device (such as a Peltier device), and a control unit,” according to the patent2, filed in 2013 and published on April 23, 2015. The control unit, the patent explains, controls the actuator or the temperature control device to cause “at least a portion of the touch surface to simulate a material.”
The actuator would, for example, vibrate the surface to simulate the sensation of texture while the temperature control device would be able to “simulate the thermal conductivity of a material.”
Patently Apple says this builds on a multi-tiered haptics system for OLED displays Apple introduced in 2012. At the time, there was speculation that Apple might release an iPad with the technology, but that never happened.
“Whether simulated touch is still a consideration for future touch devices is unknown at this time,” the report notes.
Apple offers similar Force Touch3 technology on its MacBook and Apple Watch as well as 3D Touch4 on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. The 3D Touch display found on the 6s and 6s Plus supports multiple pressure points push slightly for a preview of something (location on a map, a photo) and then push all the way to open it in full screen or the accompanying app, something Apple calls Peek and Pop.
Sony announced its X series of smartphones at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2016 in Barcelona. The X series includes a flagship, the Xperia X Performance; a mid-range model, the Xperia XA and an upper-mid range handset, the Xperia X. The smartphone line-up also includes a line of connected lifestyle devices. According to the Xperia Blog1, Sony will offer an exclusive offer with every pre-order of Xperia X family of smartphones. Sony Mobile has sent out emails to those interested customers who have registered themselves on Xperia Store.
Shoppers can get an exclusive offer on every pre-order of Xperia X, Xperia XA as well as on Xperia Ear accessory. The Japanese tech giant also released a promotional advertisement (see video below) for the Xperia X smartphone, focusing on the Predictive Hybrid Autofocus and Smart Capture features of the camera of the smartphone. The Sony Xperia X smartphone touts a 23-megapixel rear-facing sensor along with a 13-MP low-light selfie shooter. The fastest smartphone camera takes 0.6 seconds to capture a photo via quick-launch button, claims Sony2.
Available in Graphite Black, White, Lime Gold and Rose Gold colour variants, the Xperia X smartphone sports metal back with curved glass edges. The Japanese tech company claims that the device lasts for two days on a single charge. Sony s Xperia X features a 5-inch Full HD TRILUMINOS curved display. Powered by Qualcomm s Snapdragon 650 chipset, the smartphone runs on Google latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS.
Previously, Sony was rumoured to unveil the Xperia Z6 at the MWC 2016.