Intel is facing a turning point in its nearly 50-year history. Intel CEO Brian Krzanich resigned yesterday, following an ongoing investigation into a past consensual relationship with an Intel employee that violated the company’s non-fraternization policy. It’s a surprise end for Krzanich, who first joined Intel more than 35 years ago, and spent most of his time at the company on the operations side.
Krzanich was appointed Intel CEO five years ago, and was left with the messy task of fleshing out Intel’s mobile strategy and driving the company forward in new markets.
Known for PCs and servers, Intel’s business has been disrupted by smartphones and the cloud, and was caught seemingly unaware by the rise of AI and autonomous vehicles. While you might have previously cared about what Pentium processor was inside a laptop with an Intel sticker plastered on it, these days Intel’s relevance has declined. You don’t hear “Intel Inside” anymore or the jingle during commercials, and billions of smartphones don’t rely on Intel processors.
Krzanich spent the past five years fighting this decline all while trying to position Intel for the future.
There have been promises of smart buds, Intel-powered smartwatches, smartglasses, an Intel TV service, drones with Intel chips, and self-driving cars, but around 85 percent of Intel’s revenue still comes from its server and PC work. Intel has tried to reposition itself multiple times at CES in recent years with flashy keynotes, but the efforts have been unconvincing and lacked focus.
As Intel’s focus has strayed into other markets, its core business came under attack. While Intel has enjoyed a decade of dominance in PCs and servers, competitors are on the march.
Intel typically leads by shrinking its chips faster than competitors and being the first out the door with faster and more capable processors. Under Krzanich’s watch, Intel has struggled to produce 10-nanometer chips, and competitors like AMD have caught up with its Zen architecture for Ryzen and EPYC processors. AMD now competes in both performance and value, and Krzanich recently admitted Intel will even lose server share to AMD this year.
Intel was originally planning to release its 10-nanometer processors back in late 2016, but the company recently delayed that once again to 2019 due to yield issues.
It’s the first major stutter in Intel co-founder Gordon Moore’s incredibly accurate Moore’s Law prediction of roughly doubling the number of transistors in its processors every couple of years. Intel is also redesigning its processors to protect against the Spectre security flaws that were uncovered earlier this year. Once Intel gets production back on track, it faces competition that it can’t pay off PC makers to stem.
During Krzanich’s short time as CEO, Intel underwent major restructuring and bailed on the smartphone market.
The company canceled its Atom processors that were supposed to compete with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon line, and even signed a deal to produce ARM-based chips in Intel factories. Intel is now focusing on the GPU business, and the future of artificial intelligence.
Intel has hired Apple and AMD veteran Raja Koduri to build graphics chips that it plans to introduce in 2020. This will be an important push for Intel, as it needs to focus on GPU work for high performance computing, visualization, and AI computing in order to chase the competition.
AMD has an entire line of GPUs dedicated to machine learning, and Nvidia continues to demonstrate the type of superior AI it can enable. Nvidia and AMD are leapfrogging Intel because unlike traditional processors, GPUs have hundreds or thousands of cores that can each handle recurring calculations over and over again, making them ideal for training AI.
Intel knows it’s behind and it acquired deep learning startup Nervana Systems, autonomous vehicle experts Mobileye, and computer vision company Movidius, which builds the chips that power DJI’s drones. Intel has also invested £1 billion in AI startups, and it unveiled a new family of AI chips to take on AMD and Nvidia last year. Intel’s Neural Network Processor (NNP) is designed to speed up the training time for machine learning models, and the goal of the chips is to improve deep learning training speeds by 100 times by 2020. Intel still needs to show it can catch Nvidia and AMD with this AI and GPU work, though.
Alongside all these chip battles, Krzanich also attempted to reshape Intel’s culture.
Intel strongly opposed the gamergate controversy after it became involved following an advertising snafu. Intel pledged £300 million to focus on diversity, with Krzanich aiming for a “full representation in all levels” of its workforce by 2020. Krzanich also launched a project to tackle online abuse, and helped push through Intel’s war on conflict minerals.
Intel must now hire a CEO that can make the company competitive in the race for AI, and ensure its traditional chip work doesn’t hit delays that could let competitors eat into its profitable datacenter dominance.
Securing Intel’s future growth will be a tough job for Krzanich’s successor.
Intel is in an odd position of market dominance and emerging threats that, in many ways, echos Microsoft’s position before Satya Nadella took over. Intel and Microsoft have followed in each other’s footsteps for decades under the famous Wintel alliance. While Microsoft has diversified its business thanks to the reach of software and its focus on the cloud, Intel has reacted more slowly.
Intel now needs to find its own Satya Nadella who has the engineering knowledge to steer the company in the right direction, all while accepting that the company’s consumer relevance doesn’t necessarily matter anymore.
If the future is the cloud and AI, Intel needs a strong leader to aggressively guide it there.
Andrew James Electric Wok with Lid – Fast Heating 1400w Portable Wok Cooker with Non-Stick Pan – Set Includes Stainless Steel Tempura Rack & Bamboo Spatula – Heat Resistant Handles – Special Price
Create delicious dishes with the stunning Andrew James Electric Portable Wok. From healthy stir fry to tantalising curries, there’s a myriad of uses for this versatile product!
There’s nothing like a home cooked meal. From knowing exactly what’s in it, to receiving the compliments from your impressed family and friends.
But what about if you want to create something extra special? Such as tempura prawns to accompany a sweet chilli stir fry?
With the Andrew James Electric Wok you can create this and so much more! Its high capacity means there is more than enough space to cook for six people!
Not limited to meals, you can use our work for deep frying allowing you to try your hand at making homemade onion bhajis, and the tempura rack we’ve included is ideal for draining away any excess fat.
We’ve designed this wok to be as safe as possible. Featuring non-slip feet and heat resistant handles you can safely move the wok from place to place without fear of burning yourself.
The adjustable temperature gives you complete control, so you can be sure your food will be cooked to your preference – something that can’t be guaranteed with traditional woks!
Constructed from high quality, cast aluminium the heat distributes evenly, and the non-stick coating helps you create healthy meals for your family as little to no oil is needed!
Should you need to simmer or keep your food warm, we’ve included a tempered glass lid which allows you to keep an eye on your food.
Tough enough for even the busiest kitchens; this wok is a firm favourite – and we’re sure you’ll love it too!
Diameter (cm): 41L x 30.7W x 19H
Insider diameter of wok (cm): 28
- ELECTRIC WOK COOKER SET – The Andrew James Electric Wok lets you create delicious meals and stir fries from your favourite asian cookbook. It has its own built-in 1400w stove burner so you can use it wherever you have a power source.
- ADJUSTABLE TEMPERATURE CONTROL – This fast heating wok has adjustable thermostatic temperature control. Level 1 is a low heat great for simmering or keeping food warm on the table whilst you serve, Level 5 is full heat, great for deep frying breaded chicken and seafood etc.
- LID & ACCESSORIES INCLUDED – The wok comes with a tempered glass lid so you can still how your food is cooking when you cover the wok to simmer or fry. We’ve also included a stainless steel draining rack that fits neatly round the edge of the wok and a bamboo spatula that is suitable for use on the non-stick surface. The wok also has heat resistant handles so you can easily transport it from kitchen to dining room for serving, or keep it on the table for social cooking.
- NON-STICK EASY CLEAN SURFACE – This high quality cast aluminium wok pan has a non-stick surface that makes it simple to clean, you just have to wipe it with a soft damp cloth.
- 2 YEAR MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY – Shop with Confidence, your Andrew James non-stick portable electric wok is covered by a 2 year manufacturer’s warranty.
Bumper Bargains: Sale Category
Andrew James Electric Salt and Pepper Mill Grinders Set – Stainless Steel Mills with Large Capacity Grinder Pots & One Touch Operation – Top Reduction
The Andrew James Electric Salt & Pepper Mill Set combines two stylish grinders for perfect seasoning. Each mill is 23cm high and 5.5cm in diameter to provide plenty of room for you to fill it with your favourite seasoning, be that black peppercorns, rock salt or even chilli flakes. Both mills are made from durable stainless steel with a transparent casing for the contents so you can see how much is left.
To refill the grinder simply unscrew the mill and top up the clear container with your seasoning before reassembling the set. The salt & pepper mill set is available in black, red, silver or copper so you can pick a set that fits in perfectly with your kitchen or dining room.Each mill required 4 x AA batteries, not included.
One Touch Operation
These salt and pepper grinders are so easy to use. Each mill is operated by pressing a button on the top, that’s it, no complicated twisting and turning. Because they are so easy to use these mills are ideal fo children and for those who have arthritis in their hands.
Adjustable Grinding Plates
Use the screw in the base to adjust the grinding plates and create seasoning to suit your requirements. Use a coarser grain to flavour dishes during cooking then turn to fine grinding for that final flourish on the finished dish.
The inbuilt lights in the salt and pepper mills automatically illuminate when you press the button. This light lets you see exactly how much seasoning you are dispensing, even on a candle lit dining table, so you don’t make your meal too salty!
- REFILLABLE SALT & PEPPER GRINDER SET – The Andrew James Electric Salt & Pepper Mill Set combines two stylish grinders for perfect seasoning. They are easy to use and pots are refillable with your own seasonings or spices. The plastic cover prevents moisture affecting any contents when not in use.
- ELECTRIC, ONE TOUCH OPERATION – Simply push the button to release the seasoning. These battery operated mills are so easy to use and perfect for anyone who finds twisting wooden grinders a struggle. The salt & pepper mill also have internal lights that illuminate as the seasoning is dispensed so you can easily see exactly how much has come out.
- LARGE CAPACITY & ADJUSTABLE BLADES – Each mill is 23cm high and 5.5cm in diameter to provide plenty of room for you to fill it with your favourite seasoning, be that black peppercorns, rock salt or even chilli flakes. Choose between fine and coarse grinding to suit your recipe.
- STAINLESS STEEL WITH STYLISH COLOURED FINISH – Both mills are made from durable stainless steel with a transparent casing for the contents so you can see how much is left. The salt & pepper mill set is available in black, red, silver or copper.
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY – Shop in confidence. Your Andrew James Electric Salt & Pepper Mill Set is covered by a 2 year manufacturer’s warranty.
List More: Sale Offers