Product Promotion Network


EA reveals new simplified progression system for Star Wars Battlefront 2

Electronic Arts today announced a revamped progression system for Star Wars Battlefront 2 that pledges to be more linear and fair, following the heated controversy last November when the game first launched.

Originally, EA allowed players to purchase randomized loot boxes to unlock new heroes — characters like Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, for instance. Players soon discovered, even prior to the game’s launch thanks to early access programs, that it would take dozens of hours to unlock popular characters without paying real money for more loot boxes. EA backtracked almost immediately given the immense backlash, and the company removed microtransactions from the game completely as a temporary fix.

Today, with the update planned for a March 21st release, EA says microtransactions are returning to the game, but they will only allow players to pay real money for cosmetic items that change the appearance of in-game items and characters.

This should help alleviate player concerns that Battlefront 2 rewarded players for spending money with a competitive multiplayer edge, as such pay-to-win systems are almost nonexistent in big-budget console video games. (They are, however, far more prevalent on mobile.)

“With this update, progression is now linear.

Star Cards, or any other item impacting gameplay, will only be earned through gameplay and will not be available for purchase,” the company writes in its blog post. “Instead, you’ll earn experience points for the classes, hero characters, and ships that you choose to play in multiplayer.

If you earn enough experience points to gain a level for that unit, you’ll receive one Skill Point that can be used to unlock or upgrade the eligible Star Card you’d like to equip.”

Players will keep everything they’ve earned or unlocked up until now, EA says, and the cosmetic microtransaction system will launch in April after the March overhaul goes live.

17,000 at risk from Tesco Bank Travel Money data leak: how to protect yourself

Sensitive information about Tesco Bank Travel Money customers – including names, addresses and partial payment card information – has been exposed by foreign currency service Travelex. Travelex, which provides Tesco Bank’s foreign currency service, confirmed it became aware that the information had been disclosed outside the firm on Friday, 2 March 2018. Which? explains exactly who’s affected and what you should do next to ensure you don’t fall victim to fraud.

Who’s affected?

The data leak impacts Tesco Bank Travel Money customers who used the foreign exchange currency service online between 14 December 2016 and 23 January 2017. Travelex told Which? Money that this impacts just under 17,000 customers in total, and those that used the service outside of this period are not affected.

Was Travelex hacked?

Travelex says it can’t confirm exactly what happened, but ruled out a cyber-attack.

It says there has been no indication the data was stolen but it is conducting a ‘forensic investigation’ to establish what caused the data to be exposed.

What information has been leaked?

The data that has been leaked includes:

  • full names
  • date of birth
  • home and mobile phone numbers
  • delivery and billing addresses
  • email addresses
  • IP addresses
  • partial payment card information.

Travelex confirmed that partial card information was disguised using payment card industry standards, so financial information has not been put at risk. That said, your name, date of birth and contact details can help scammers build up a profile of you with the aim of committing identity theft.

What to do if you’re affected

At present, there is no sign that the leaked information has been used fraudulently by a third party. However, it’s unclear who had access to the exposed data, so it’s possible that information could be misused in future.

If you’re affected, you should take action to change your passwords and keep a close eye on your bank accounts[1] and credit report[2] for signs of suspicious activity. You should also be wary of unsolicited requests for personal information, even if they appear to come from your bank or credit card provider. In addition, avoid clicking on links in emails or text messages that arrive out of the blue.

If the data loss causes you financial damage or distress, you may be able to claim compensation from Travelex. Find out more in our guide: My data has been lost, what are my rights?[3] Travelex is contacting customers impacted by the data leak with more information about the incident and offering 12 months’ free fraud protection with Experian.

The firm has also set up a dedicated hotline 0800 9758376 open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm and email[4] for customers that have any concerns.

Is this incident linked to Tesco Bank credit cards?

Tesco Bank says that this latest incident is not linked to a breach that caused it to cancel credit cards[5]. It also confirmed the leak only relates to Tesco Bank customers that ordered travel money between 14 December 2016 and 23 January 2017.

What Travelex says

Travelex told Which? Money: ‘We are urgently investigating how some customer data was recently discovered to have been disclosed externally.

All affected customers have been contacted with advice on what precautionary action to take. We are confident that no financial information has been disclosed. ‘The security of our customers’ information is paramount and a full investigation is underway.

We are sorry to all our customers affected if there has been any inconvenience caused as a result of this incident.’


  1. ^ bank accounts (
  2. ^ credit report (
  3. ^ My data has been lost, what are my rights? (
  4. ^ (
  5. ^ cancel credit cards (

Porn ID Plans Kicked In The Plums As UK Gov Abandons April Deadline

The government has delayed the launch of compulsory age verification for pornographic sites operating in the UK. Due to go live this April, the system would require anyone wanting to view legal adult content to prove that they’re aged 18 or over, using any number of age verification (AV) systems. The exact nature of how AV will work remains unclear, but it’s understood thought that any form of ID you’d be able to use in order to buy alcohol – your passport, driving licence or a credit card – could be used to verify your age and that it would be a single sign on-type action; once you’re verified, you won’t have to do it again.

Over the weekend, the government quietly admitted dropped its April launch date for a vague “end of the year” deadline, burying the news 27 paragraphs deep in a press release about 5G[1]. Part of the reason for the delay has been traced to a lack of guidance from the government and the BBFC, which will have the power to fine any adult website operators who don’t comply with the AV regulations. Talking to the BBC[2], Warren Russell, CEO of W2 Global, which is building its own AV system, said that developers are currently in the dark.

“The real difficulty for providers is that the regulators have not yet released guidelines,” Russell said. “We are all working a little bit in the dark and making our best educated guesses as to what will and won’t be acceptable.” James Clark, from AgeID, the AV platform that’s being developed by PornHub owner MindGeek, said that the April deadline was wishful thinking anyway. “The regulations still have to go out for consultation, and be discussed and approved by Parliament,” said Clark. “There are set timings for such processes, so the maths just don’t seem to add up for it to be ready by April.”

The BBFC will launch a public consultation on its draft guidance for AV later this month, meaning the industry, critics and supporters will have the opportunity to supply evidence and have a hand in shaping the regulations. While privacy advocacy lobbyists the Open Rights Group[3] ‘welcomed’ the delay, its legal director Myles Jackman called on the Culture Secretary Matt Hancock to rethink the scheme. “This is a chance for the government to rethink the absence of safeguards for privacy and security, but it is frightening to consider that this policy was two weeks away from launch before it was pulled,” Jackman said. “Matt Hancock needs to introduce powers to safeguard privacy immediately before this scheme causes real damage.”

Jackman has argued[4] that the lack of safeguards would not prevent private data and viewing habits of 20-25 million of British adults from being collected by AV operators, setting the stage for “an Ashley Madison style hack”.

Ashley Madison, a website specialising in extra-marital adult encounters, was hacked in 2015[5], and the details of 30 million users were leaked, which resulted in divorces, resignations and suicides.

Plum Plum[6]” by Alan Levine[7] is licensed under CC BY 2.0[8].


  1. ^ in a press release about 5G (
  2. ^ BBC (
  3. ^ Open Rights Group (
  4. ^ has argued (
  5. ^ was hacked in 2015 (
  6. ^ Plum Plum (
  7. ^ Alan Levine (
  8. ^ CC BY 2.0 (

1 2 3 858